We are currently recruiting a locum solicitor to boost our capacity to assist Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander clients.
Applications are encouraged as soon as possible, with the successful candidate to commence in January.
Position Title: Locum Solicitor – Aboriginal Legal Access Program
Status: Fixed term contract to 31 March 2022
Hours per week: 35 hours per week (full time) or as negotiated
Salary: SCHCADS Level 4-5 depending on experience. ICLC is currently able to offer salary sacrificing of up to $16,000 per year.
Accountable to: Principal Solicitor
The Inner City Legal Centre (ICLC) is a busy community legal centre based in Kings Cross. We provide free civil, criminal and family law advice to members of our local community (in the inner-city and north shore and northern beaches regions of Sydney) and priority groups across NSW, including LGBTIQ people.
We provide legal services for people experiencing significant barriers to access justice in particular LGBTIQ, sex workers, Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people, homeless people, people with disabilities and people with low income. ICLC provides specialised legal casework for those who face barriers to justice and in public interest cases. ICLC is committed to building a diverse, inclusive community where everyone feels welcome.
Like many centres, our office was closed for a significant period as a result of the COVID-19 pandemic. Since we have reopened, we have seen increased demand for legal services from across the community.
This role is funded under a specific COVID-19 funding stream which must conclude by 31 March 2021. The primary purpose of the role is to provide additional capacity to our legal team, with a focus on our work with Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander clients.
The ALAP Solicitor will be responsible for legal casework and will support our work maintaining relationships with local organisations. A key focus will be providing legal services to members of the local Aboriginal community. This will involve liaising with support services, offering community legal education, information and referrals, and providing simple legal advice. More complex legal matters will be referred back to specialist ICLC solicitors.
Given the short-term nature of the role, we welcome applications from lawyers at all levels, including recent graduates and junior lawyers with a commitment to serving Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander communities.
Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people are strongly encouraged to apply.
- Provide advice and casework services to ICLC clients, with a focus on Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander clients.
- Maintain relationships with local communities, organisations, services and workers that support Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people in our area.
- Provide legal outreach including by offering legal information and appropriate referrals for Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander clients.
- Facilitate access to ICLC for Aboriginal people by acting as a first point of contact and making appropriate referrals to our specialist solicitors.
- Conduct community legal education on the services ICLC provides.
- Assist in developing regular legal outreach clinics for Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people in an accessible and culturally safe settings.
- Other tasks as requested by the Principal Solicitor.
- Eligible to obtain a NSW Practising Certificate.
- Knowledge of Aboriginal and/or Torres Strait Islander communities and understanding of cultural safety, including the ability to interact with Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people in a culturally safe way.
- Capacity to conduct outreach in the community, including in non-legal settings.
- Ability to provide accurate and appropriate legal assistance under supervision and to manage relationships with clients.
- Excellent communication skills, including the capacity to assist clients from diverse backgrounds.
- Strong interpersonal skills and the ability to develop and maintain relationships with clients and stakeholders.
- Capacity to maintain accurate and well-organised records of advice.
- Experience working in a community legal centre or Aboriginal community controlled organisation.
- Experience of community education or public speaking.
- Knowledge of community resources and organisations relevant to the needs of ICLC clients.
- Experience working in inner-city Sydney.
How to apply
- All applications should be in writing and include a CV and statement addressing the selection criteria.
- We are aiming to complete recruitment by the end of December, so we encourage interested applications to apply as soon as possible.
- Applications should be sent by email to the Principal Solicitor, Roslyn Cook, at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Queries can be directed to Roslyn Cook at the email above or by phone to 0466 724 979.