ICLC is accepting applications for new student volunteers.
Volunteer law students
Inner City Legal Centre (ICLC) Volunteer Program
ICLC encourages law students to apply to volunteer. Volunteering is a great way to learn practical skills and help link the communities ICLC serves with appropriate legal assistance. ICLC greatly appreciates the commitment and hard work of all of the volunteers.
Volunteer law students attend the centre on a weekly basis for a half or full day shift and are involved in a range of duties including administration, reception and research activities. Volunteer law students are the first point of contact for ICLC’s clients, and are responsible for making appropriate appointments and referrals, under supervision. Volunteer law students are required to attend an induction before their first shift – inductions are currently going ahead remotely.
The application process involves a written statement addressing the selection criteria (maximum of 350 words).
Essential criteria –
- Completion of at least two years of a combined undergraduate law degree, or at least one year of a graduate law degree.
- Commitment to social justice.
- Ability to commit to weekly half or full day shifts for at least 6 months (please also indicate days you are available).
- Ability to work with clients from diverse backgrounds and in diverse circumstances, including clients in stressful situations and who may present with challenging behaviours.
- Understanding of legal professional practice issues, including conflict checking and duties to maintain confidentiality.
- Ability to work independently and as part of a small team.
- Demonstrated interest in legal issues affecting communities served by ICLC.
Desirable criteria –
- Prior experience volunteering.
- Experience working with people from diverse backgrounds
- Experience in administration or customer service.
If you are interested in becoming a volunteer, please download the Volunteer Student Application form and email it, along with a written statement addressing the selection criteria (maximum of 350 words) and your resume, to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Applications that do not address the selection criteria will not be considered. We may also seek contact details for two referees before finalising any placement.